Setting Up MacPPP 2.x with MacTCP
This document explains how to set up MacPPP 2.x using MacTCP.
Important Note: For users running MacOS
7.5.3 and above, you may have Open Transport installed on your Macintosh. Open
Transport TCP/IP replaces MacTCP and it is recommended that you use it in place
Step 1 : Selecting Your Dial-Up Client
- From the Apple Menu, select Control Panels and
- Make sure the PPP icon is highlighted, and then click the More... button.
Important Note: You can only have MacSLIP or MacPPP
installed at any one time. If you see icons for both of them, you must uninstall
one of them before you can use the internet.
Step 2 : Configuring Your MacTCP Settings
- In the Obtain Address section, select Server.
- In the Domain Name Server Information section, set the Domain to mikka.net.au and the IP Address to 22.214.171.124 for the first entry.
The Domain for the second entry should also be set to mikka.net.au and the IP Address to 126.96.36.199. Under Default, bullet the
the first entry, as shown above.
- Set the Class to A.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Restart your Macintosh for the changes will take effect.
Step 3 : Configuring MacPPP
- From the Apple menu, select Control Panels and
choose Config PPP.
- Click on the Config button. The following window will open:
- Name the PPP Server:
- the PPP Server Name should be Mikka.
- Set the Port Speed... ie. Your modem speed.
- Set the Phone Num: 9331 9500
- For Modem Init, use the initialization string recommended by the
manufacturer of your modem. This string should be in your modem manual. If all else fails,
try AT &F or leave it blank.
Step 4 : Entering Authentication Information
- Click on the Authentication button.
- For Auth. ID, enter your Mikka Internet username.
- Note: Your username is not the same as your e-mail address; if your e-mail
address is [email protected], then your username is jsmith.
Note also that usernames and passwords are case-sensitive.
- For Password, enter your password.
- Click OK to save this information.
- Click OK once more to return to the ConfigPPP Control Panel.
Step 5 : Connecting to UBC Interchange/Netinfo
- From the Apple menu, select Control Panels and choose Config
- To connect to Mikka Internet, click Open.
- The modem will then dial Mikka Internet. Once a modem connection has been
established and you have been successfully authenticated, start a network application such
as Internet Explorer or Netscape.
- To disconnect, close all network applications; return to the Config PPP control
panel and click the Close button.