Setting Up Open Transport PPP or Remote Access
This document explains how to set up Remote Access or PPP.
Note: Remote Access and PPP are essentially the same program but are called different names. You will only see one or the other in your Control Panel. Remote Access comes with
MacOS 8.5 and later. PPP comes with MacOS 7.5.3 - 8.1.
Step 1 : Configuring Open Transport TCP/IP
- From the Apple menu, select Control Panels.
- Open the TCP/IP control panel.
- Set Connect via to PPP and Configure to Using PPP
- IP address, Router address and Subnet mask should all
look like this: <will be supplied by server>
- For Name server addr, enter 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
(one set of numbers on each line.)
- For Additional search domains, leave blank
- Note: If you have a field called Starting Domain Name as shown on
the screenshot above, type in mikka.net.au in the space provided. Some versions of
Open Transport TCP/IP do no include the Starting and Ending Domain Name
- Close the window and confirm that you wish to save changes.
- You should now restart your computer.
Step 2 : Configuring Remote Access/PPP
- From the Apple menu,
select Control Panels and choose Remote Access or PPP
(depending on what you have in your Control Panel.)
- Select Registered User.
- In the Name field, enter your
- Note: Your username is not the same as your e-mail address; if your e-mail address is email@example.com, then your username is jsmith.
Note also that usernames and passwords are case-sensitive.
- In the Password field, enter your password.
- Place a checkmark in the Save Password box if you want Remote Access to save your password between sessions.
- Enter in the phone number to dial in the number field: 9631 1000
- Click on the Options button.
- Click on the Protocol tab.
- Select PPP from the pull down menu as
- Place a checkmark in the box beside Connect
automatically when starting TCP/IP applications.
- Click OK.
Step 3 : Connecting to UBC Interchange/Netinfo
- To connect to Mikka Internet, bring up the Remote Access or PPP
control panel and click Connect.
- To disconnect, click on the Disconnect button.